This easy, 1 pot meal recipe made in under 30 minutes makes for a perfect meal.
Not only is it a comfort food, light on the stomach and a perfect spring detox meal. But also, it is very delicious, protein-packed and easy to digest.
The name 'khichdi' is derived from the Sanskrit term 'khicca' : a dish of rice and legumes.
This dish helps us to balance our 3 doshas: Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Sprouting the moon makes them high in protein, fiber and vital nutrients. Sprouting enhances the nutritive value and they are very easy to digest.
How to sprout the moong beans
- rinse the moong with water 3 to 4 times.
- Soak them in water for 8 to 10 hours.
- Drain them in a colander.
- Then leave them in the colander itself. Make sure the base of the colander is free for the extra water to drain away and for the moong to breathe.
- Usually it takes another 8 to 10 hours for them to sprout. This can vary depending on the variety of the moong.
- Refrigerate the moong sprouts in a container. you can use them up to the next 4 days.
Ingredients for khichdi.
- 1to 2 tbsp ghee.
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp cumin.
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup moong sprout.
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1/2 tbsp ghee for topping.
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice.
- Wash the quinoa and sprouts well.
- Heat the ghee in a pot or pressure cooker on a medium flame.
- Add asafoetida to it.
- Now add the cumin seeds.
- Add the carrots and beans to it.
- Then add the turmeric and salt to it.
- Then add the washed moong sprout and rice to it.
- Saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water for a mushy consistency.
- If cooking in a pot cook until soft adding more water if needed.
- If cooking in a pressure cooker cook for 2 whistles in medium flame for a mushy consistency.
- When the khichdi is about to cook add the lemon juice to it and give it one last light stir.
- Finally pour the hot ghee and serve hot.